Yes those are my nerdy artsy car wash photos. This week’s challenge is to get off all that road salt, dust and grime off of your car! I love going through the carwash, it reminds me of being a little kid. It was a nice treat. Then I vacuumed out the car myself. I’ve got a crazy system for vacuuming out the car since you really have to scramble once you put in that last quarter.
- Before I leave I take out any big things from the car.
- Once I get to the car wash I take out all of the car mats and shake them out and put them in a pile on the ground.
- I also pick up all the bits of paper and what not and throw them away.
- I open the doors.
- Put in the quarters and vacuum out the floorboards
- Then you usually have to add some more quarters to finish the trunk and finally your stack of mats.
I also don’t know how I made it this far in life without knowing that you can put your floor mats in your washer. Man that’s a game changer. I came home and threw them in on the gentle cycle with laundry detergent and they look awesome.
Also here’s my update to last week’s challenge. We packed up 4 boxes before we both got hit with the flu last week. It was such a bummer, but Jason and I are both feeling much better now. I guess every little bit helps. Sorry that there was no artful way to photograph our junk.
My hoarding tends to end up in categories. I tell myself that it’s okay if I have a lot of . Then once permission is granted it slowly creeps out of control. I talked about how I overcame my clothing addiction in an earlier post, but there are still things that I really struggle to let go of.
Here are some of my hoarding categories:
- PLANTS: I have a crazy amount of indoor plants. I will buy them at the grocery store, ikea, inherit them from friends, and GROW MORE OF THEM. It’s never ending. Also I’ve noticed that I don’t really get to enjoy most of them because we only have so many windows and a lot of them end up behind closed curtains. I want to pick my favorites and rearrange them in places where I actually get to enjoy how pretty they are. I would also love to have a plant swap/adoption where I can give away some of the plants that I have multiples of or am just not that into anymore.
- BOOKS: Dear lord I love books. Especially pretty inspirational art books and cookbooks. But I rarely use them. I am much more likely to head to the internet for a quick recipe or ideas. How do you feel about having tons of books?
- TEXTILES: I have stacks of blankets around the house and rugs in the basement. I don’t know when I am going to get sick of a certain rug and want to replace it, but I have yet to exchange a rug with one in the basement. I also tell myself that blankets are functional and beautiful, so what’s the harm in having lots of them?
- MULTIPLES OF FUNCTIONAL THINGS: My friend Amy makes fun of me because our basement looks like a good will. It’s got racks of things like jars, vases and kitchenware on shelves waiting for the day when we are ready for a “new one”. I keep telling myself that it’s my version of Martha’s prop closet.
- KITCHEN GADGETS: We do a lot of cooking and it shows. We have so many utensils, gadgets, pots and pans. Most of them get a lot of use, but our kitchen is also bursting at the seams.
- EPHEMERA: Real life letters, birth announcements, and cards these are things that I have a lot of trouble giving away. Especially because letters are so rare these days. I also keep business cards, and certain flyers from craft shows or stores to remind me of ideas or inspiration but I rarely revisit them.
- ART SUPPLIES: You never know when you will be inspired to make something and that wood burning set you have buried away will come in handy. Right?
Am I crazy? Is this normal? Are there things that you allow yourself to hoard? Do I need to whittle down my possessions to 100 things? Do you have experience getting over giving these things away?
March is all about fresh starts. It’s about cleaning out the clutter, dusting off the cobwebs and welcoming in Spring. So this week’s challenge is to give away a bunch of junk. I am a bit of a secret hoarder. I don’t buy a lot, but I have so many things collected over the years from family, work, thrift stores etc that I keep around just in case I may need it some day. Unfortunately it’s all starting to get a bit out of control and it’s time to let go of some things.
I could use your encouragement and for every new “like” on the We Made it Home facebook page I promise to give an item away. Spread the word and let me know if you plan on doing some cleaning as well, maybe we can encourage one another.