I have been meeting with the same two women once a week for over a year to pray. Every Monday we sit and catch up by listening to everyone’s stories from the week. We listen about the cute things our babies are doing, the things we are wrestling with and thinking about. Then we spend the rest of the evening bringing one another before God in prayer. Bearing one another’s burdens. I am thankful for them and the friendship that quickly develops when you dive into the thick of life together.
This past Monday I made a berry crisp to share, and wanted to give you the recipe so that you could share it with some sweet friends.
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and butter in the bottom of an 8×8 pan
- Set aside 1/2 cup of mixture
- Squish the rest of the mixture on the bottom of your pan
- Sprinkle blueberries in an even layer on top
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mixture
- Bake for 40 minutes
We have been really blessed by friends and family after Elliott’s birth. New parenthood is a time of intense emotions, of love and sleep deprivation. We are pretty good as a culture at providing for the physical needs of a new baby by showering them with clothes and cribs, but the needs of new parents are often overlooked. I wanted to share some of the gifts that have been most helpful for us in hopes that they can be blessings passed along to someone else.
- MEAL TRAIN: We haven’t made a single meal all month. Our friend Karen organized a meal train from my bridal shower list. Each of the ladies signed up for a night to make our family a meal after Elliott arrived, then every other night for the month someone has brought us something delicious to eat. It has been AMAZING to not have to worry about what is for dinner or making frequent trips to the grocery store.
- MOM CARE SUPPLIES: Some of the best gifts came from other new Mom’s. They gave me things I didn’t even know that I needed. Things for lactation like Mothers Milk Tea and Lactation Cookies. Personal care items for post birth like New Mama Spray and Nipple Balm.
- HEALTHY SNACKS: There is very little time to fix anything to eat with a newborn, so grab and go items are essential. My favorites have been yogurt, fruit, granola bars, cheese sticks, trail mix, and hummus. A care package of these for a new mom would be VERY appreciated.
- NETFLIX: A netflix subscription has been great since new moms spend a lot of time breast feeding on the couch.
- CHORES: Doing a load of laundry or the dishes for a new Mom is an invaluable gift. Or you could purchase a gift card for a housecleaning service if you do not live in the area.
- NO THANK YOUS: Take the pressure off new Mom’s by assuring that your gift requires no thank you note, or that you understand that the thoughtful e-mail you sent requires no speedy reply.
Podcasts are my favorite way to consume media. I love to listen to them as I work, and am always in search of new content. I use the podcast app on my iphone and download them from itunes. They are free, informative, and extremely entertaining. Here is a roundup of a few of my favorites. Please let me know what your favorites are too by commenting!
- AMERICA’S TEST KITCHEN Fool proof recipes, interviews, product reviews, and your food questions answered.
- AFTER THE JUMP I love this podcast from Grace Bonney the creator of the Design Sponge blog. She interviews creatives and designers, talks about running a business, and lifestyle design.
- PLANET MONEY Economics made interesting.
- 99% INVISIBLE A great show about design in our everyday lives.
- JILLIAN MICHAELS This is why I love podcasts. It is quirky, informative, and entertaining and not at all what you would expect from a celebrity personal trainer. It feels like you’re listening in on a conversation in her living room, in a good way.
- THE SPLENDID TABLE Another great podcast on the world of food.
- 48 DAYS TO THE WORK YOU LOVE Question and answers with a career life coach.
- THIS AMERICAN LIFE First-person stories and short fiction pieces that are touching, funny, and surprising.
- DAVE RAMSEY Questions and answers about money. We followed his plan to pay off all of our debt including our house.