I really would love to see the Horace Pippin exhibit at the Brandywine River Museum. I am in love with his floral paintings.
We have been really blessed by friends and family after Elliott’s birth. New parenthood is a time of intense emotions, of love and sleep deprivation. We are pretty good as a culture at providing for the physical needs of a new baby by showering them with clothes and cribs, but the needs of new parents are often overlooked. I wanted to share some of the gifts that have been most helpful for us in hopes that they can be blessings passed along to someone else.
- MEAL TRAIN: We haven’t made a single meal all month. Our friend Karen organized a meal train from my bridal shower list. Each of the ladies signed up for a night to make our family a meal after Elliott arrived, then every other night for the month someone has brought us something delicious to eat. It has been AMAZING to not have to worry about what is for dinner or making frequent trips to the grocery store.
- MOM CARE SUPPLIES: Some of the best gifts came from other new Mom’s. They gave me things I didn’t even know that I needed. Things for lactation like Mothers Milk Tea and Lactation Cookies. Personal care items for post birth like New Mama Spray and Nipple Balm.
- HEALTHY SNACKS: There is very little time to fix anything to eat with a newborn, so grab and go items are essential. My favorites have been yogurt, fruit, granola bars, cheese sticks, trail mix, and hummus. A care package of these for a new mom would be VERY appreciated.
- NETFLIX: A netflix subscription has been great since new moms spend a lot of time breast feeding on the couch.
- CHORES: Doing a load of laundry or the dishes for a new Mom is an invaluable gift. Or you could purchase a gift card for a housecleaning service if you do not live in the area.
- NO THANK YOUS: Take the pressure off new Mom’s by assuring that your gift requires no thank you note, or that you understand that the thoughtful e-mail you sent requires no speedy reply.