I love simple tote bags. I use a leather variation of this everyday and I was inspired to make this canvas one for Spring when I found some great trim at my local closeout fabric store Jomar. This is a great beginner project with a little flair.
Here are the materials that you will need:
- 1 piece of 34” x 15” cotton canvas fabric folded in half
- 2 pieces of 1-2 inch wide of trim
- 2 pockets cut out of your canvas fabric. I uploaded a pattern for you here.
- Straight Pins
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine with matching thread
Here is the 3 minute video on how to make the tote:
Please let me know if you have any questions about the tutorial, your feedback is really valuable to me! You can e-mail me here.
You can also now subscribe to my youtube channel. Like We Made it Home on Facebook, follow me on Instagram, or pinterest.
Podcasts are my favorite way to consume media. I love to listen to them as I work, and am always in search of new content. I use the podcast app on my iphone and download them from itunes. They are free, informative, and extremely entertaining. Here is a roundup of a few of my favorites. Please let me know what your favorites are too by commenting!
- AMERICA’S TEST KITCHEN Fool proof recipes, interviews, product reviews, and your food questions answered.
- AFTER THE JUMP I love this podcast from Grace Bonney the creator of the Design Sponge blog. She interviews creatives and designers, talks about running a business, and lifestyle design.
- PLANET MONEY Economics made interesting.
- 99% INVISIBLE A great show about design in our everyday lives.
- JILLIAN MICHAELS This is why I love podcasts. It is quirky, informative, and entertaining and not at all what you would expect from a celebrity personal trainer. It feels like you’re listening in on a conversation in her living room, in a good way.
- THE SPLENDID TABLE Another great podcast on the world of food.
- 48 DAYS TO THE WORK YOU LOVE Question and answers with a career life coach.
- THIS AMERICAN LIFE First-person stories and short fiction pieces that are touching, funny, and surprising.
- DAVE RAMSEY Questions and answers about money. We followed his plan to pay off all of our debt including our house.
The photo above shows the shirt that I made from the pattern tutorial that I posted last week. I just finished the second video on how to cut and sew the pattern that you made. I hope that you enjoy it, and please let me know if you end up making something! You can post it on our facebook page or tag it on instagram.