My hoarding tends to end up in categories. I tell myself that it’s okay if I have a lot of . Then once permission is granted it slowly creeps out of control. I talked about how I overcame my clothing addiction in an earlier post, but there are still things that I really struggle to let go of.
Here are some of my hoarding categories:
- PLANTS: I have a crazy amount of indoor plants. I will buy them at the grocery store, ikea, inherit them from friends, and GROW MORE OF THEM. It’s never ending. Also I’ve noticed that I don’t really get to enjoy most of them because we only have so many windows and a lot of them end up behind closed curtains. I want to pick my favorites and rearrange them in places where I actually get to enjoy how pretty they are. I would also love to have a plant swap/adoption where I can give away some of the plants that I have multiples of or am just not that into anymore.
- BOOKS: Dear lord I love books. Especially pretty inspirational art books and cookbooks. But I rarely use them. I am much more likely to head to the internet for a quick recipe or ideas. How do you feel about having tons of books?
- TEXTILES: I have stacks of blankets around the house and rugs in the basement. I don’t know when I am going to get sick of a certain rug and want to replace it, but I have yet to exchange a rug with one in the basement. I also tell myself that blankets are functional and beautiful, so what’s the harm in having lots of them?
- MULTIPLES OF FUNCTIONAL THINGS: My friend Amy makes fun of me because our basement looks like a good will. It’s got racks of things like jars, vases and kitchenware on shelves waiting for the day when we are ready for a “new one”. I keep telling myself that it’s my version of Martha’s prop closet.
- KITCHEN GADGETS: We do a lot of cooking and it shows. We have so many utensils, gadgets, pots and pans. Most of them get a lot of use, but our kitchen is also bursting at the seams.
- EPHEMERA: Real life letters, birth announcements, and cards these are things that I have a lot of trouble giving away. Especially because letters are so rare these days. I also keep business cards, and certain flyers from craft shows or stores to remind me of ideas or inspiration but I rarely revisit them.
- ART SUPPLIES: You never know when you will be inspired to make something and that wood burning set you have buried away will come in handy. Right?
Am I crazy? Is this normal? Are there things that you allow yourself to hoard? Do I need to whittle down my possessions to 100 things? Do you have experience getting over giving these things away?